Exploring Student Accommodation and Facilities in Germany
With its vibrant culture, fantastic history, and unique student life experiences, Germany is an increasingly popular choice for international students seeking out an enriching education. From the world-renowned universities of Munich to the energy of Berlin, there is no shortage of exciting student accommodations and facilities available to those looking to pursue their studies in Germany. Whether you’re looking for a luxurious student apartment or an affordable shared room, Germany has a wide variety of student accommodation options to suit any budget and lifestyle. Additionally, most universities offer a range of amenities and facilities, such as libraries, cafeterias, and sports facilities, designed to make students’ stay as comfortable and convenient as possible. If you’re considering studying in Germany, read on to learn more about the student accommodation and facilities available in this amazing country.
Types of student accommodation
Student accommodation is typically separated into one of three categories, each with its own specific features and purposes. Depending on the level of comfort and amenities you’re looking for, you can choose from any of the three types of student accommodation in Germany.
- Shared rooms – Ideal for budget-conscious students, shared rooms offer affordable accommodation with limited privacy. Often, students in shared rooms share a bathroom or kitchen with other tenants in the same building. Another common feature of shared rooms is the communal living area, where students can spend leisure time together.
- Single rooms – Single rooms provide a higher level of privacy and comfort than shared rooms, allowing students to establish a sense of home during their stay in Germany.
- Host family accommodation – A great choice for those looking to immerse themselves in German culture, host family accommodation provides a truly authentic student experience. Students live with a German host family and are immersed in the German language and culture from day one. Host families are carefully interviewed and selected to ensure each student is placed with a family that is suitable for them.
Benefits of student accommodation in Germany
Apart from the obvious benefit of saving money, there are many other advantages to living in student accommodation in Germany.
- Save Money – As the majority of accommodation is subsidized, living in student accommodation in Germany is an affordable housing option.
- Find friends – Living in close proximity to other students, you’re likely to make new friends. And if you’re placed in a host family in Germany, you may even end up living with lifelong friends!
- Make the most of your time – You’ll never see the Berlin Wall in its entirety if you visit it in a day. On the other hand, if you live in student accommodation in Germany, you can easily walk to any tourist attraction in your free time.
- Stay safe and secure – Living with other students in a secure building, you’re likely to feel safer than if you were living alone in a non-accommodation setting.
- Get to know German culture – Living with a host family in Germany is an excellent way to immerse yourself in the German language and culture.
- Connect with German roots – If your host family is from a German town with a strong cultural identity, you can learn more about their roots and discover what it’s like to be part of the German way of life.
Cost of student accommodation in Germany
The cost of living in student accommodation in Germany varies depending on the type of accommodation and location. While the amount you pay each month will depend on your personal circumstances, the following figures are a rough guide to the average cost of living in student accommodation in Germany.
- Shared rooms – The cost of shared rooms ranges from €600 to €900 per month.
- Single rooms – The cost of single rooms ranges from €900 to €1,200 per month.
- Host family accommodation – The cost of living with a host family in Germany is €700 per month.
Student facilities in Germany
German universities provide a wide range of student facilities designed to make students’ stay as convenient and comfortable as possible. While each university has its own facilities and amenities, the following are some of the most common features of German student facilities.
- Cafeterias – German universities have several cafeterias that serve affordable and delicious food. Cafeterias are a great place to meet new people, and most have a large selection of vegetarian and vegan meals.
- Libraries – German universities have countless libraries with a variety of different materials. Many libraries have computers, printers, scanners, and WiFi available for use.
- Computer rooms – Many German universities have computer rooms with a variety of different computer types and languages available. You may even be able to use a computer in your own language!
- Sports facilities – German universities have a wide variety of sports facilities, including swimming pools, gymnasiums, and stadiums.
- Study abroad programmes – Many German universities offer varied study abroad programmes for students.
Universities offering student accommodation
Many German universities offer student accommodation for students who wish to study in Germany. The following is a list of some of the most popular universities where you can study in student accommodation.
- The University of Munich – The University of Munich, or “LMU” as it’s commonly known, is one of Germany’s oldest and most prestigious universities. With over 30,000 students, LMU offers a wide variety of subjects, including a Bachelor of Science in International Studies. Students can choose to study at the central campus in Munich or at one of the other regional campuses in Augsburg, Erlangen, or Würzburg.
- The Free University of Berlin – The Free University of Berlin, or “Freie Universität Berlin” in German, is one of Germany’s largest and oldest universities. With over 100 departments and 300-degree programmes, the Free University offers a truly diverse range of subjects. Students can choose from a wide variety of study abroad programmes in locations such as Ecuador, Chile, and New Zealand. – The University of Cologne
- The University of Cologne, or “Universität zu Köln” in German, is one of Germany’s top research universities. The University of Cologne has over 37,000 students and offers a wide variety of subjects. Students can choose from a wide range of study abroad programmes in locations such as Japan and the United States.
Tips for finding student accommodation in Germany
Finding student accommodation in Germany can be a daunting task, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the German housing market. The following are some tips that can help you find and secure student accommodation in Germany.
- Stay in touch with your home university – If you’re studying at a university in your home country and are planning on studying in Germany, stay in touch with your home university and talk to your International Office. Many universities offer excellent services for their students and can help you find suitable student accommodation in Germany.
- Be flexible – Be flexible with your choice of accommodation. You may find that the type of accommodation you want is already booked.
- Be prepared – Before you start looking for student accommodation in Germany, make sure you have all the necessary documentation. You’ll need proof of health insurance, proof of income, and a copy of your passport.
Finding student accommodation in Germany is a challenging process, but it’s worth the effort. You’ll be able to make new friends, live in a safe and secure environment, and be within walking distance of a wide variety of tourist attractions. With its vibrant culture, fantastic history, and unique student life experiences, Germany is an increasingly popular choice for international students seeking out an enriching education.